Subject: Re: bug#40599: 1.1.0rc2 i686 gui install unreadable

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:22:00 +0200

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 03:06:25PM +0200, Niels Felsted wrote:
> And testing Florians suggestions:
> 
> setting 'nomodeset' kernel parameter -> screen displays fine
> 
> setting 'modprobe.blacklist=i915' kernel parameter -> screen displays fine
> 
> As mentioned before, I did manage to install guix via tty3 (without
> setting any kernel parameters), and it boots up fine with
> gdm3/xfce4. So it is only the initial boot from the install iso that's
> distorted.

Thank you for the testing!  Xorg working confirms that uvesafb really
is the source of the problem.  This is good to know.  I have hope that
this issue is fixed by commit 0ad60b2a89d6d387236466e0bcdd61ac489fca37
that loads uvesafb only if it cannot already detect a frame buffer
device.  I do not have a downloadable image for confirming the fix
though.

Sorry I did not think of checking the presence of /dev/fb0 earlier.

Regards,
Florian