Subject: bug#40596: 28.0.50; Function with more than one key gives "wrong number of arguments" error

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 14:19:10 +0300

Here is something that could be a bug, I cannot know at this moment, as
I am researching yet if I can use &key with Emacs's `defun':

(defun tmp-function-1 (text html &key one)
  "This one works fine"
  (message one))

(tmp-function-1 "text" "<html>" :one "Hello")

(defun tmp-function-2 (text html &key one two)
  "This one does not work, wrong number of arguments"
  (message one))

(tmp-function-1 "text" "<html>" :one "Hello" :two "But not alright")

Evaluating the last function does not work, it gives the error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments ((t) (text html &key one) "This one works fine" (message one)) 6)
  tmp-function-1("text" "<html>" :one "Hello" :two "But not alright")
  eval((tmp-function-1 "text" "<html>" :one "Hello" :two "But not alright") nil)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

I have tried searching the manual for Emacs Lisp for anything related to
`&key' and I cannot find any references, in my opinion the description
of `defun' in the Emacs Lisp manual is not satisfactorily.

Jean

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-03-28 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: dceba13ce57ed0cb726e89566197f77359a38d91
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Recent messages:
Mark set
tmp-function-2
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
tmp-function-2
Entering debugger...
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [4 times]
Back to top level
kill-line: End of buffer [6 times]
Mark set

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-03-28 --with-modules
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search
time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode easymenu
find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 52165 9031)
 (symbols 48 6514 1)
 (strings 32 18090 1316)
 (string-bytes 1 578502)
 (vectors 16 10940)
 (vector-slots 8 141658 11450)
 (floats 8 27 48)
 (intervals 56 546 84)
 (buffers 1000 13))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis