Subject: Re: bug#40577: Auctex can't open anymore documentation

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 18:09:32 +0900

Hi Tobias,

>>>>> Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Tobias Bora <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I don't know why, but I updated recently my .emacs file (which may
>> downloaded a recent version of auctex), and since then I can't open
>> documentation anymore. Indeed, if I do `C-c ? tikz <RET>` then okular
>> starts, but is killed before opening the document. I tried with an empty
>> configuration (emacs -Q) in a new home, and I even tried it on a
>> completely empty (and new) user.

> [...]

>> Any idea what's going wrong? The only idea I have is that maybe emacs
>> kills for some reason the okular process, but no idea why...

> It may be related to my commit in 2018:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> commit c8a8d475d5a5c826c02313937e2bf09cca3fe057
> Author: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Sun Nov 4 03:21:33 2018 +0900

>     Don't block emacs during viewing document
    
>     * tex.el (TeX-documentation-texdoc): Use asynchronous proces not to
>     block emacs during viewing document.
>     Supply "%s" to `message' argument in case the shell output contains
>     accidental %-sequence.

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> This commit is intended for evince but it might harm okular in some way.
> Could you see whether your okular wokrs if you revert the above change?

It seems that it was indeed the case[1]. I hope I have now fixed the
issue, so I close this bug. Please try the next ELPA release. If that
doesn't resolve your problem, feel free to reopen this bug.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex/2023-01/msg00000.html