Subject: Re: bug#40574: [wip-hurd-vm]: cross-build of `guix' fails

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 00:14:35 +0200

Hello!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> (A good opportunity to learn about THAANA LETTER RAA!
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaana#Alphabet>)

I believe these commits on ‘master’ solve remaining cross-compilation
issues:

  62bc3c5b04 build: Don't build man pages when cross-compiling.
  12da5162e4 compile: Pre-load the compiler outside 'with-target'.

The way I tested it is by running this command from current
‘core-updates’:

  guix build --target=i586-pc-gnu guix --with-branch=guix=master

There’s another thing that needs to be done: in the ‘guix’ package, the
‘copy-bootstrap-guile’ phase must be skipped when cross-compiling (it’s
useless since tests aren’t run and it crashes).

When these commits are cherry-picked or merged on ‘core-updates’,
someone can run “make update-guix-package” there and it should be all
fine.

I’m optimistically closing the bug, but let me know if I was
over-optimistic!  :-)

Ludo’.