Subject: Re: bug#40573: 27.0.90; flymake-mode broken in scratch buffer

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:44:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 11:21:50 +0100
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>,
>> [email-masked],
>> 	Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> So I'm thinking of introducing lisp-data-mode later on in 
>> master, following Stefan's patch. And using it only for `dir-locals.el` 
>> for now (and for my own files of course).
>> 
>> Is that OK with you?
>
> No.  IMO a mode included in the core should handle more that just one
> kind of file.

FWIW, Juri pointed out some other files that could be placed in
lisp-data-mode in https://debbugs.gnu.org/40573#32:

> 1. ~/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/gnu/archive-contents

This would require adding a -*- mode -*- cookie in
package--download-one-archive, but this might complicate signature
checking.

> 2. ~/.emacs.d/bookmarks

This would require adding a -*- mode -*- cookie in
bookmark-insert-file-format-version-stamp.

> 3. ~/.emacs.d/tramp

This would require adding a -*- mode -*- cookie in
tramp-dump-connection-properties.

> 4. ~/.emacs.d/places

This would require adding a -*- mode -*- cookie in
save-place-alist-to-file.

Here are some more files of the same type in my own
user-emacs-directory:

5. nsm-settings-file

This would require adding a -*- mode -*- cookie in nsm-write-settings.

6. (expand-file-name "eww-bookmarks" eww-bookmarks-directory)

This would require adding a -*- mode -*- cookie in eww-write-bookmarks.

7. Possibly some EDE project files

Judging from:

(defclass ede-proj-project (...)
  ...
   (file-header-line :initform ";; EDE Project Files are auto generated: Do Not Edit")
  ...)

But I don't use EDE so I can't say for sure.

> All these data files have one difference from ELisp code files:
> they are not loaded with evaluation.

They also differ in that they are all auto-generated and generally not
edited, but...

> They all could benefit from a dedicated emacs-lisp-data-mode.

...I sympathise with this.

-- 
Basil