Subject: bug#40573: 27.0.90; flymake-mode broken in scratch buffer

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:42:08 +0100

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Re. defun finding.  In general, there are no things
> > analogous to a defun in data files, there just aren't!
> I think the example shown by Juri included a lambda-function.

Then maybe that particular file is more than just lisp data,
just like some lisp data is emacs programs, and other
lisp data is clojure programs or scheme, where the definition
of a lambda function would look different.  Or you could be looking
at a table of traditional dances and be looking at a misspelling
of the name of that curious brazilian one :-).  My point is: the
data mode I'm proposing is completely agnostic to what a
"function" is. It shouldn't try to be clever about it.

Of course, you can derive an data-with-occasional-lambda-mode
and a traditional-dance-table-mode from it, to suit the particular
mode you're looking at. Then you can add defun-finding logic
to those modes, but not lisp-data-mode.

João

--
João Távora