Subject: Re: bug#40573: 27.0.90; flymake-mode broken in scratch buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 07:36:41 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  Stefan Monnier
>  <[email-masked]>,  Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 02:58:07 +0300
> 
> Please add emacs-lisp-data-mode.  I have data buffers in emacs-lisp mode
> permanently visited all the time, and in the Buffer List the modes
> of these buffers "ELisp/d" are highlighted with the warning face.
> 
> It's fine to encourage the users to convert emacs-lisp files
> from dynamic (the suffix "/d" in mode name highlighted as a warning)
> to lexical (the suffix "/l" unhighlighted).
> 
> But the problem is that these files are emacs-lisp data files,
> they can't be converted to lexical-binding, they need a special data mode.

As I said in that old discussion, I'm not opposed to such a mode, if
it supports more than just running Flymake in .dir-locals.el.  If you
have a bunch of other files for which such a mode could be useful,
please describe the files, their names or other telltale indications
(to be used for turning on this mode), and their special needs that
distinguish them from ELisp source files.  Also, if you have some
wishes for commands special to such files, or how the behavior of the
existing commands should differ in such files, please tell that as
well.

IOW, such a mode should solve some real problems, not just a single
glitch of turning on Flymake and producing annoying warnings in a file
of a single name.

Thanks.