Subject: Re: bug#40573: 27.0.90; flymake-mode broken in scratch buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 15:35:27 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 12:57:19 +0100
> Cc: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, 
> 	Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> > > Anyway, I can surely switch to auto-mode-alist if you
> > > insist, no problem. Do you insist in this?
> > Do I have to insist?
> 
> Any problem with doing so? I'll interpret that as a "Yes".

It's actually the other way around: if I don't feel my opinion is
strong enough, I usually say so.

> > In any case, I didn't mean to use auto-mode-alist _instead_ odf adding
> > the cookie automatically, I meant to do it in addition.
> 
> Ah, indeed I had misunderstood you.  But what's the point 
> in having them also in the cookies then?  That bit escapes me.

The cookies will take care of newly created/rewritten files,
auto-mode-alist will take care of existing ones that no one has
changed yet.  The result is a more complete coverage of the involved
files.

> Anyway, I went and looked at the three files you mention, and 
> I discovered they're not "fixed" as I thought. They're defcustom 
> and defined way after auto-mode-alist, so we'd have to add-to-list, 

No need for such complexity.  I meant to mention the standard names in
auto-mode-alist, under the assumption that many/most users don't
change the default names.