Subject: bug#40572: installer networking: Connman detects no technologies on Acer Aspire

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 14:09:18 +0200

On my Acer Aspire 5738PG the GUI installer for 1.1.0-rc2 fails at
automatic network setup.  It tells me the install process required
Internet access.  Manual setup of networking via “ip link set
enp0s29f7u1” and “dhclient enp0s29f7u1” works fine; I can ping
gnu.org.  This is true for both a USB Ethernet adapter that works fine
with Guix on other computers and is true for built-in non-USB
Ethernet.

It appears the Guix installer uses Connman for network setup.

On the Acer Aspire the output of connmanctl is

Error getting peers: The name net.connman was not provided by any .service filesError getting technologies: The name net.connman was not provided by any .service files
connmanctl>

while on my Macbook the output of connmanctl is just a prompt

connmanctl>

What could be the reason?  Note that I booted the Acer Aspire from DVD
making it even slower than usual.

Regards,
Florian