Subject: Build Failure on OpenBSD 6.6

From: Paul Hardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 20:10:05 -0700

Greetings,

I tried building libtool 2.4.6 on OpenBSD 6.6 with automake 1.16.1
installed.  The build gave a warning about not having automake 1.15
installed, and then failed:

[begin quote]
[bunch of lines removed]
aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 127
WARNING: 'aclocal-1.15' is missing on your system.
         You should only need it if you modified 'acinclude.m4' or
         'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
         The 'aclocal' program is part of the GNU Automake package:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake>
         It also requires GNU Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>
         <http://www.perl.org/>
*** Error 127 in /home/paul/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.6 (Makefile:1031
'./aclocal.m4')
[end quote]

I then installed automake-1.15.1, extracted the libtool-2.4.6
directory again, and tried building.  It failed complaining about a
bug in automake 1.15:

[begin quote]
[bunch of lines removed]
touch ./config-h.in
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
make  all-recursive
Making all in .
 cd . && /bin/sh
/home/paul/src/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.6/build-aux/missing
automake-1.15 --gnu
automake-1.15: error: unrequested trace 'include'
automake-1.15: Please contact <[email-masked]>.
 at /usr/local/share/automake-1.15/Automake/Channels.pm line 662, <GEN0> line 4.
        Automake::Channels::msg("automake", "", "unrequested trace
'include'") called at
/usr/local/share/automake-1.15/Automake/ChannelDefs.pm line 212
        Automake::ChannelDefs::prog_error("unrequested trace
'include'") called at /usr/local/bin/automake-1.15 line 5179
        Automake::scan_autoconf_traces("configure.ac") called at
/usr/local/bin/automake-1.15 line 5438
        Automake::scan_autoconf_files() called at
/usr/local/bin/automake-1.15 line 8263
*** Error 1 in . (Makefile:1013 './Makefile.in': @for dep in
./m4/ltversion.m4 ./aclocal.m4; do  case './m4/00gnulib.m4
./m4/autobuild.m4  ...)
*** Error 1 in . (Makefile:1631 'all-recursive')
*** Error 1 in /home/paul/src/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.6 (Makefile:995 'all')
[end quote]

I ran into other problems with automake 1.15 that were fixed in
automake 1.16 and 1.16.1.  Would it be possible to create an interim
official libtool release that is built with the latest automake, even
if nothing else is changed?

Thank you,

Paul Hardy