Subject: 28.0.50; Narrow to defun in python buffer

From: Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 00:52:13 +0200

Hello Buglist

emacs Q

Find file class.py with this content

----------------------------------8<----------------------------------
"""Try narrow to defun on class"""

class A():

    def a1(self):
        pass

    def a2(self):
        pass

class B():

    def b1(self):
        pass

    def b2(self):
        pass
---------------------------------->8----------------------------------

Move point to bol on class A
C-x n d

result:
----------------------------------8<----------------------------------
lass A():

    def a1(self):
        pass

    def a2(self):
        pass
---------------------------------->8----------------------------------

notice the 'c' is gone

C-x n w

Move point to bol on class B

C-x n d

result:
----------------------------------8<----------------------------------
    def b2(self):
        pass
---------------------------------->8----------------------------------

I then noticed that placing point just below the class definition and
then narrow works as expected. But I think the recipe way should work as
well. And even if not, this behavior is confusing.

Best regards
--
Tomas

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-04-01 built on fliptop
Repository revision: 1276c8e10b000b571a12227ebe9216cc6305ef7f
Repository branch: tomnor
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Dired-Hide-Details mode enabled in current buffer

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: sv_SE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  dired-hide-details-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired
dired-loaddefs tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44956 6005)
 (symbols 48 5991 1)
 (strings 32 15464 1586)
 (string-bytes 1 508063)
 (vectors 16 9265)
 (vector-slots 8 124796 8898)
 (floats 8 19 43)
 (intervals 56 325 4)
 (buffers 1000 12))