Subject: bug#40549: More usability issues:

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 11:54:29 +0200

On dinsdag 12 mei 2020 10:51:28 CEST Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Nothing new here, and everything is properly documented.

The bugreport was not about a disconnect between documentation and the tool,

the bugreport is a usability bug which stems from the fact that the command 
line parser behaves differently from every single other commandline parser 
average people like me have ever used.

A near 100% of the command line tools on your Gnu/Linux box will behave 
differently than guix does now.

C apps using libc, python apps using their parser, even C++ apps using the Qt 
commandline classes, all are generally compatible with regards to behavior.

Only Guix is different.

> However (srfi srfi-37) does it as we see it now.  Fixing it would mean
> implementing a different option parser.

Then fix that parser. It is inconsistent with the rest of the world and as long 
as it is end-user-facing this inconsistency is a usability bug. A rather 
massive one, I might say as this is about as core to the user-interaction of 
the platform as it can get.

-- 
Tom Zander