Subject: bug#40538: installer: Support uvesafb to install on machines without KMS.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:12:28 +0200

Hi Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:28:38PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:09:12PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > Or better yet, is there a way to check whether KMS is already using
>> > another driver, and to not load uvesafb in that case?  Probably there’s
>> > some info in /sys.
>> 
>> Hmm I will try if checking for the presence of /dev/fb0 helps.
>
> I have tested and pushed a check for /dev/fb0 as
> 0ad60b2a89d6d387236466e0bcdd61ac489fca37 to the version-1.1.0 branch.
>
> All my machines that need uvesafb use it while those that don’t need
> it do not modprobe the kernel module anymore.  Possibly there remain
> problems should the normal Kernel Mode Setting be very slow to create
> /dev/fb0, but otherwise the logs should no longer show uvesafb errors.
>
> They do show that the uvesafb shepherd service was started, even when
> it did not load uvesafb.

Well done!

I’ll send an image to Niels in case they can double-check that the
/dev/fb0 check works for them.

> Maybe the shepherd service should be renamed.

To ‘maybe-uvesafb’?  Doesn’t matter much to me.  :-)

Thank you!

Ludo’.