Subject: Re: bug#40538: installer: Support uvesafb to install on machines without KMS.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:14:04 +0200

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:28:38PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:09:12PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Or better yet, is there a way to check whether KMS is already using
> > another driver, and to not load uvesafb in that case?  Probably there’s
> > some info in /sys.
> 
> Hmm I will try if checking for the presence of /dev/fb0 helps.

I have tested and pushed a check for /dev/fb0 as
0ad60b2a89d6d387236466e0bcdd61ac489fca37 to the version-1.1.0 branch.

All my machines that need uvesafb use it while those that don’t need
it do not modprobe the kernel module anymore.  Possibly there remain
problems should the normal Kernel Mode Setting be very slow to create
/dev/fb0, but otherwise the logs should no longer show uvesafb errors.

They do show that the uvesafb shepherd service was started, even when
it did not load uvesafb.  Maybe the shepherd service should be
renamed.

Regards,
Florian