Subject: bug#40538: installer: Support uvesafb to install on machines without KMS.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 16:48:36 +0200

Hey!

> All is fine vga=793 does not break uvesafb on my Acer Aspire but does
> not help either.  Only on QEMU vga=793 broke everything.  Maybe leave
> the patch as is.

Thanks for your patch. I tried briefly 1.1.0-rc2 on some hardware of
mine. On three somehow recent laptops, everything still works fine but
v86d segfaults without giving much information.

The 'dmesg' output looks like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
v86d[371]: segfault at xxxxx.
uvesafb: Getting VBE info block failed (eax=0x4f00, err=1)
uvesafb: vbe_init() failed with -22
uvesafb: probe of uvesafb.0 failed with error -22
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

On a really old Intel machine, I have a complete black screen on all TTY
but that was maybe the case on older Guix System revisions and I would
need to do more investigations.

Mathieu