Subject: bug#40534: Installer: List of languages should be focused on translated ones

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:46:44 +0200

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 01:34:40PM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
> When starting the Guix installer, the first question is to choose a
> language.
> 
> You are confronted with a very long list of all sorts of languages.
> When you then choose one of the untranslated ones, you just get back to
> English.
> 
> Wouldn't it be better to just show those where really (some)
> translations are available?

The chosen language should affect the locale in the generated
config.scm, does it not?  If the locale in config.scm is correct, then
even if Guix has no translation at least the installed system will
have translations e.g. for GNOME and I believe this issue can be
closed.  Just the installer messages remain untranslated English for
now.

> Also, if you chose one you cannot go back to the language-dialog. You
> need to reboot to choose a different language.

It should be possible to press Exit on the next installer steps to
select a different locale.  But maybe this does not work because of
the issue with umount-cowstore others wrote about.

Regards,
Florian