Subject: Re: bug#40517: 28.0.50; Dired, expansion missing with local directory

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 09:56:47 +0300

> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 07:00:29 +0200
> 
> If I have 2 Dired windows, when doing renaming or copy, I can use TAB
> for expansion, and directory at other window will expand in the
> minibuffer. For example, if I wish to move files from ~/MY-DIR to ~/OTHER-DIR
> and other directory is showing ~/ only, I can start typing ~/O<TAB>
> and it will expand to ~/OTHER-DIR
> 
> If I however, have within ~/MY-DIR another directory like
> ~/MY-DIR/LOCAL-DIR and I remove ~/ from minibuffer, and start typing
> LOC<TAB> it will not expand into LOCAL-DIR -- but it should in my
> opinion.

I don't think I understand the situation, because you didn't describe
it in enough detail.  E.g., I don't understand what you mean by "other
directory is showing ~/ only", and how it relates to the issue at
hand.  File-name completion doesn't depend on what is displayed in
other windows, it only depends on what is displayed in the window
which was the selected one when you invoked the command to copy files.
So please consider providing a more complete recipe to reproduce the
situation.

Thanks.