Subject: bug#40516: 28.0.50; Delays with copy/rename after 10 hours emacs uptime

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 10:00:03 +0300

> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 06:43:07 +0200
> 
> 
> I was doing many copies and renames in Dired, and kept Emacs long time
> running, including with laptop sleep mode and hibernation, so I had
> about 10 days of emacs-uptime
> 
> Then I have observed that copies and renames are slower and slower,
> incredibly slow. Deleting files became very slow. If I would do it in
> the shell it would be very fast.

Do you have gc-cons-threshold set to a very high value, per chance?

In any case, when this happens next time, profile Emacs with "M-x
profiler-start", then post the resulting profile, completely expanded,
here.  Without that data, it is hard to do anything useful about this
bug report, as it gives no clue about the possible reason(s).  FWIW,
my Emacs sessions typically run for many weeks without any tangible
degradation in the time it takes to copy or move files.

Thanks.