Subject: bug#40514: closed (Re: [bug#40514] [PATCH] vm: Transparently compress iso9660 images.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 00:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40514: Should we shrink the installer by a gig or so?

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40514: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40514
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#40514] [PATCH] vm: Transparently compress iso9660 images.
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 02:02:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic 写道：
> Tested it and it works

Thanks!  Pushed as 26c1bd9dfafb5a954d2174b7a000304cd7ae6345.

> and I see no downside either.

We can now fit a Gnome 3 desktop on an image the size of the 
previous installer.  I'm sure someone considers that a downside.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Subject: Should we shrink the installer by a gig or so?
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: Guix-patches via <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 22:56:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Guix,

I've met at least someone who was worried that Guix wouldn't 
support their System ‘because the installer fell back to text 
mode’.  They didn't mean nomodeset: obviously a 1.5-GiB ISO must 
be hiding a full desktop somewhere, not just the interface of a 
text-mode netinstaller image about 2.5% its total size:

  $ du -h Downloads/trisquel-netinst_8.0_amd64.iso
  37M	…

  $ du -h /gnu/store/l005v0ssz34gz5mrg3vpr51sq8sry8wp-image.iso
  1.5G	…

Now I'm not suggesting we add Gnome (yet), but how about reducing 
the size by 60% for 1.1.0?

  du -h /gnu/store/jcpg5wsflpymiq3vx929wq2cr0qbw44f-image.iso
  561M	…

Our CD image finally fits on a CD!  Remember those?  I try not to.

It also fits onto the ~100 1-‘GB’ USB drives I have in a box and 
can now finally give away as Guix installers.

Zisofs is a somewhat obscure, Linux-specific extension to Rock 
Ridge that transparently (de)compresses file data using zlib.  Our 
linux-libre already supports it.  As far as the system is 
concerned it's just a regular iso9660 file system.

Unlike squashfs (with which I'm currently playing) it requires 
zero further changes to the creation or boot process that could 
introduce new bugs.  Hence I'm hopeful that this can be tested and 
merged in time for the next release.

Kind regards,

T G-R