Subject: 26.3; vc-log CVS commit message includes "Summary: "

From: Morgan Willcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 11:42:31 +0100

When creating a CVS commit through VC the commit message will include
the literal text "Summary :" instead of treating the field as a
header. From a quick search it seems this was introduced for version
24.4, but the fix for a related bug report looks to be specific to
Subversion.

Related previous bug:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18954

...and the patch which changed the behaviour for Subversion:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/lisp/vc?id=a59071372884552279edf9c62bfb1aa558ec6db2

As noted in the previous bug report:

"I'm puzzled, however, why hasn't anyone else reported this problem by
now? Maybe nobody uses most of those, but what about CVS? Do its users
just stay on older Emacs versions?"

I can confirm that the same issue exists, although maybe there should be
better way to opt in or out of the behaviour instead of hard-coding it per
provider?

Thanks,
Morgan

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-12-03 built on lgw01-amd64-029
Repository revision: ea9cfdb4812c1140416c523bac34a6ec72db7fce
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.12 (stretch)

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/mwillcock/cvs/testproject/testfile...
Wrote /home/mwillcock/cvs/testproject/testfile
Finding changes in /home/mwillcock/cvs/testproject/testfile...done
Mark set
Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
next-line: End of buffer [4 times]
Checking in /home/mwillcock/cvs/testproject/testfile...done
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix= --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr 'CFLAGS=
 -I/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include' 'CPPFLAGS=
 -I/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include' 'LDFLAGS=
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug term ehelp diff-mode gnus-dired cl-print log-edit
pcvs-util add-log misearch multi-isearch eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree vc-annotate vc vc-dispatcher vc-cvs
sh-script smie executable mailalias smtpmail sendmail flow-fill gravatar
gnus-notifications gnus-fun notifications dbus erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match
erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend
erc-compat thingatpt pp shr-color color shr svg dom browse-url sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp cl-extra help-mode
gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache
url-auth nnrss xml mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util nndraft nnmh
utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm starttls nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp
nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit elec-pair
renpy-mode derived edmacro kmacro imenu python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell parse-time json
map finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars ob-dot
org-element cl-seq avl-tree generator org advice org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs ido seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib misterioso-theme time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 511818 104005)
 (symbols 48 42505 3)
 (miscs 40 338 1277)
 (strings 32 111713 3855)
 (string-bytes 1 3451026)
 (vectors 16 67264)
 (vector-slots 8 1513860 63928)
 (floats 8 515 847)
 (intervals 56 2790 370)
 (buffers 992 47))