Subject: [bug#40492] [PATCH] gnu: Add meshlab

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:23:38 +0200

Hi,

Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I wrote a package to add meshlab but I'm not sure if I did it right:
> - It doesn't have tests so I removed the testing.

Please add a short comment in the code saying this so that people
touching the package in the future will know.

> - It fails to check RUNPATH, but I don't really know why so I disabled
>   it at the moment. It fails while searching for meshlab core libraries
>   but the search path is correct (it misses a /meshlab at the end).

Could you show the error message?  It may be that the build system fails
to pass the right -Wl,-rpath or even the right -L/-l flags at link time.

>>>From d9020d7e64020dc7eea1bd46af184856d568ca7d Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 18:56:06 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: Add meshlab
>
> ---
>  gnu/packages/engineering.scm | 39 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 39 insertions(+)

Bonus points if you can provide a commit log that follows our
conventions.  :-)  See
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html> and
‘git log’ for examples.

> +(define-public meshlab
> +  (let ((commit-ref "Meshlab-2020.04"))
> +    (package
> +      (name "meshlab")
> +      (version commit-ref)

The version field should be “2020.04”.  You can construct the commit
from that:

  (string-append "Meshlab-" version)

> +      (synopsis
> +        "The open source system for processing and editing 3D triangular meshes.")
> +      (home-page "http://www.meshlab.net/")
> +      (description "MeshLab is an open source, portable, and extensible system

Two comments:

  1. Everything in Guix is free software, you can remove the “open
     source” mention.

  2. Please make sure to run ‘guix lint’ and check the guidelines at
     <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Synopses-and-Descriptions.html>.

Could you send an updated patch?

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.