Subject: bug#40490: difficulties opening gnome-maps

From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 08:38:15 -0800

Hi, I have been using gnome-maps for a few months. It has always been
the case that I can open gnome-maps fine from a terminal. Also, if I
run Alt-F2 gnome-maps, this also works. However, if I press Meta key
(Windows key) and type map, the, the Maps application is selectable,
but if I select it, gnome-maps does not open: I can see evidence that
it is trying to open due to a spinning title bar on the top left, but
it does not open in the end. Likewise, if I try to open a KML file in
Maps through the Icecat or Nautalis interfaces, gnome-maps does not
open, but no error is reported by the system (silent fail). So to open
KML files available on the Internet, I must first save the KML file
somewhere, open gnome-maps from the command line or ALT-F2, and then
open the KML file from gnome-maps file dialog, which is a slower
workflow.
I understand that a .34 gnome update is forthcoming, but was not sure
how soon that will be, and whether or not it will fix this problem. 

-- 
Christopher Howard
Enterprise Solutions Manager
Alaska Satellite Internet
PO Box 70, Ester, AK 99725
3239 La Ree Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709
907.451.0088
1.888.396.5623
www.alaskasatelliteinternet.com