Subject: [bug#40468] [PATCH 3/3] gnu: Add shiru-lv2.

From: Alexandros Theodotou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 16:58:26 +0100

I'd say the eventual amount of packages that would use such a build
system are between 5-10. Should I go ahead and make a dpf-build-system
or do you think we should just copy the code around since it's not that
many packages?

By the way, we used inheritance in the case of other packages such as
gx-* and vl1-emulator/regrader/fogpad, although those are from the same
upstream so maybe it's reasonable there.

On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 11:41 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 09:04:40PM +0100, Alexandros Theodotou wrote:
> > This is supposed to be merged after those changes. The first patch
> > (40466) changes the install procedure in dragonfly-reverb, which is
> > inherited here.
> 
> In general, I think that using syntactic inheritance to factorize
> build
> phases is not the right way to go here. It can cause a big headache
> later when the time comes to adjust things, and it removes the
> advantages of Guix tools such as `guix graph` and `guix refresh`.
> 
> I think the better options are to create a new lv2-build-system that
> inherits from gnu-build-system and replaces the install phase, or to
> just copy and paste the code around. It depends on how many of these
> packages we plan to add.
> 
> Let me know if you need help with any of that! The font-build-system
> is
> a concise example of making a new build system based on the
> gnu-build-system.