Subject: [bug#40440] [PATCH 2/3] gnu: Add mruby-zest.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 19:41:51 +0100

Alexandros Theodotou <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch adds mruby-zest, a dependency of zynfusion. I had some help
> from the developer for making it build without connecting to the
> internet.

Hey Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to package mruby-zest.

> +(define-public mruby-zest
> +  (package
> +    (name "mruby-zest")
> +    (version "3.0.5-ba39aabd")
> +    (source
> +      (origin
> +        (method git-fetch)
> +        (uri (git-reference
> +               ;; this is a meta repo that packs the mruby dependencies
> +               ;; as submodules
> +               (url "https://github.com/mruby-zest/mruby-zest-build.git")
> +               ;; ghaction branch - suggested by the developer to avoid
> +               ;; automatic downloading of some unneeded and
> +               ;; hard-to-package dependencies used for debugging
> +               (commit  "ba39aabd8d4ddc5f14137083b6f9a96c536f5f12")
> +               (recursive? #t)))

So I spotted the use of a "deps" directory, which is a bad sign, as
dependencies should be other packages, not things as part of this
package.

I then spotted that the source for this package isn't the upstream Git
repository, but a Git repository that pulls together the mruby-zest
source code, with code from ~16 other Git repositories.

Would it be possible to create Guix packages for these dependencies?

I know that would involve quite a bit of work, but unfortunately that
kind of work is necessary to ensure Guix as a collection of packages can
be maintained in the long term.

> +        (file-name (git-file-name name version))
> +        (sha256
> +         (base32
> +          "1vqzdds30sr982dp7fclg4r19l44rv8pbz6h4a8vcginj494gvjn"))))