Subject: bug#40425: 26.3; eww-open-file is not working with a Tramp file name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 17:02:26 +0200

[email-masked] (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

> I'm providing a library for a programming mode (apdl-mode) where you can
> request manual entries for the language keywords.  Usually these html
> manuals are either stored in the cloud or locally on a workstation where
> you are, both, coding and running the finite element code.
>
> But now a user is applying Tramp to code remotely on his workstation and
> also wants to access the said html manual pages which are stored on his
> remote machine.
>
> Actually I think this is a reasonable use case for EWW. :-)

Yeah, that's true.  I've now reopened this bug report.

If the base document is fetched via Tramp, then relative links to
further documents via Tramp isn't a security concern at all.

I'm just wondering on what level this should be fixed at.  eww could add
further support for these relative links itself, or the url-file.el
library could grow some overrides to allow following Tramp file
names...  Hm...  The latter seems easier to implement, but I feel that
perhaps the former is what makes most sense.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no