Subject: bug#40425: 26.3; eww-open-file is not working with a Tramp file name

From: [email-masked] (H. Dieter Wilhelm)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 21:50:10 +0200

Dear Emacs maintainers

Please let me explain the background of the bug report:

I'm providing a library for a programming mode (apdl-mode) where you can
request manual entries for the language keywords.  Usually these html
manuals are either stored in the cloud or locally on a workstation where
you are, both, coding and running the finite element code.

But now a user is applying Tramp to code remotely on his workstation and
also wants to access the said html manual pages which are stored on his
remote machine.

Actually I think this is a reasonable use case for EWW. :-)

Granted, a possible solution would be to copy the whole manual locally
to his laptop.  But this would require some extra configuration and
tinkering on the user's side. :-/

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> I've now done this in Emacs 28.1.

Thank very much you but ...

> One downside is that relative links in a non-local HTML file still won't
> work...  but I'm not sure whether that's really much of an issue.

Unfortunately, in this case it is!  Not aware of the downside I tried
this idea before in apdl-mode but the user is - with reason -
complaining about this workaround.  You know, reference links are so
essential for manuals.

Maybe the context information will persuade you to think about another
approach?

Thank you for your help and have a good time

      Dieter

-- 
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Zwingenberg, Germany