Subject: [bug#40422] [PATCH] gnu: kmod: Update to 27.

From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 15:57:28 +0000

On 2020-04-05 14:45, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> * gnu/packages/linux.scm (kmod): Update to 27. Enable tests.
>> ---
>> 
>> This patch need to be merge on core-updates because > 2200 packages 
>> will need
>> to be rebuilt.  Without this patch (in particular `--sysconfdir=/etc`) 
>> it's
>> not possible to pass module arguments to `kernel-module-loader` from
>> <https://issues.guix.info/issue/40274>.
> 
> As the core-updates branch is frozen right now, could you submit this
> patch as a 'kmod/next' variable?  See e.g. 'help2man/latest' or
> 'automake-1.16.2' for inspiration.

I can do that but I would need to adjust %modprobe-wrapper for
`kernel-loader-module` to work without the crutch at 8c88e24229 since 
the service
gets its modprobe from "/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe".

> After the core-updates merge, we can do a larger 'staging' round that
> updates the default 'kmod'.
> 
> I wonder if we should patch eudev to use
> /run/current-system/profile/bin/ instead of /gnu/store/...kmod/bin so
> that we can update kmod without triggering a huge rebuild.

eudev uses libkmod to to use it's kmod feature so I'm not sure how to do 
this.