Subject: bug#40381: Guix shouldn't request substitutes for profile derivations

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 12:44:42 +0200

Hi,

pkill9 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I see that Guix is requesting substitutes from the build servers before
> it builds a profile derivation. 

Can you show more precisely what you mean by pasting a command and its
output?

With the recent changes in the implementation of grafts, what happens is
usually this:

  $ guix build foo
  updating the list of substitutes…
  The following things will be built/downloaded:
  …

  updating the list of substitutes…
  The following things will be built/downloaded:
  …

The second stage here typically includes profile.drv as well as grafts.
All this is expected behavior.

Detailed behavior depends on what’s in /gnu/store, the freshness of
substitute info in /var/guix/substitute/cache, and applicable grafts for
the package(s) at hand.

Thanks,
Ludo’.