Subject: emacs 23 fails to bootstrap itself on Cygwin

From: Terrence Brannon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:34:35 -0400

I tried to build emacs 23 on Cygwin via:

./configure --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no && make

but here is what happened at the end:

gcc -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/
src -DXTHR
EADS -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/
include -I/usr/
X11R6/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/
include/fre
etype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/
include/freety
pe2    -g -O2   /home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/src/prefix-args.c -
o prefix-a
rgs
echo "dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o xmenu.o window.o
charset.o codin
g.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o cm.o term.o terminal.o
xfaces.o xterm
.o xfns.o xselect.o xrdb.o fontset.o xsmfns.o fringe.o image.o
gtkutil.o  emacs.
o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o
marker.o mi
nibuf.o fileio.o dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o
indent.o searc
h.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o
floatfns.o fn
s.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o unexcw.o bytecode.o process.o
callproc.o reg
ion-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o intervals.o
textprop.o composit
e.o md5.o   sheap.o xfont.o ftfont.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o terminfo.o
gmalloc.o ra
lloc.o lastfile.o vm-limit.o  mktime.o getloadavg.o " > buildobj.lst
gcc -Wl,--image-base,0x20000000    -o temacs ecrt0.o dispnew.o frame.o
scroll.o
xdisp.o menu.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o
character.o
chartab.o cm.o term.o terminal.o xfaces.o xterm.o xfns.o xselect.o
xrdb.o fontse
t.o xsmfns.o fringe.o image.o gtkutil.o  emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o
keymap.o sy
sdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o
dired.o filemode
.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o
alloc.o data.o
 doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o
lread.o syntax
.o unexcw.o bytecode.o process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o
atimer.o dopr
nt.o strftime.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o   sheap.o
xfont.o ftfon
t.o xftfont.o ftxfont.o terminfo.o gmalloc.o ralloc.o lastfile.o vm-
limit.o  mkt
ime.o getloadavg.o     -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -
latk-1.0 -l
gdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangoxft-1.0 -lXft -lfreetype -lz -lXrender -lXext -
lfontconfig
 -lpangox-1.0 -lX11 -lpango-1.0 -lm -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -
lglib-2.0 -lint
l -liconv -lpthread -lSM -lICE -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lm -lXpm -lX11 -lXft -
lXrender
-lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -lz -lX11 -lxcb-xlib -lxcb -lXau -
lXdmcp    -lcu
rses -lg  `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name` -lm -lc `gcc -print-libgcc-
file-name`
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
warning: au
to-importing has been activated without --enable-auto-import specified
on the co
mmand line.
This should work unless it involves constant data structures
referencing symbols
 from auto-imported DLLs.Info: resolving _gdk_display by linking to
__imp__gdk_d
isplay (auto-import)
Info: resolving __tzname by linking to __imp___tzname (auto-import)
cd ../lisp; make -w update-subdirs
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/lisp'
wd=/home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -
type d -pr
int)`; for file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS |
*/CVS/* |
*/.* | */.*/* | */=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $wd/$file" ;; esac; done; \
        for file in $wins; do \
           /home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/lisp/../update-subdirs
$file; \
        done;
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/lisp'
`/bin/pwd`/temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs.exe] Error 57
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/tmp/emacs-23.1/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2