Subject: bug#4038: emacs 23 fails to bootstrap itself on Cygwin

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:56:05 -0400

On 8/4/2009 3:34 PM, Terrence Brannon wrote:
> I tried to build emacs 23 on Cygwin via:
> 
> ./configure --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no && make
> 
> but here is what happened at the end:
> 
[...]
> gcc -Wl,--image-base,0x20000000    -o temacs ecrt0.o dispnew.o frame.o
[...]
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:

I've built cygwin's emacs 23.1 package 
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-08/msg00002.html).  You could 
take a look at the source to see what I did and try to adapt that to 
your needs.  Two things jump out at me from your output.  First, you 
should use gcc-4 rather than gcc-3; cygwin builds of emacs with gcc-3 
are known to be unstable.  Second, I applied a patch to get rid of 
'-Wl,--image-base,0x20000000', which has also been known to cause problems.

By the way, this may be a good time to remind the emacs developers that 
I sent some patches a while ago:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-06/msg00041.html
   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-06/msg00330.html

Could you consider applying these now that 23.1 has been released?

Thanks.

Ken