Subject: bug#40377: closed (Re: bug#40377: guix build --with-commit is broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 21:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40377: guix build --with-commit is broken

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40377: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40377
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40377: guix build --with-commit is broken
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 23:17:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]> skribis:

> $ guix build mlt --with-commit=mlt=v6.18.0
> updating checkout of 'https://github.com/mltframework/mlt.git'...
> guix build: error: Git failure while fetching
> https://github.com/mltframework/mlt.git: the requested type does not
> match the type in the ODB

[...]

> $ guix build picom --with-commit=picom=vNext
> updating checkout of 'https://github.com/yshui/picom.git'...
> guix build: error: Git failure while fetching
> https://github.com/yshui/picom.git: the requested type does not match
> the type in the ODB

Interestingly,

  guix build guile-gcrypt --with-commit=guile-gcrypt=v0.2.0

would work just fine.

This is because the tags in the above examples actually point to a
“commit” object instead of pointing to a “tag” object as in the
guile-gcrypt case.  Weird.

Fixed with commit efa578ecaece67366b4b0e2266de7c2faaa4ae54.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: guix build --with-commit is broken
From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 17:41:20 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

`--with-commit' from `guix build' doesn't always work. It seems to not
really update the checkout contrary to what is reported since changing 
the
`git-url`, by adding a slash for example, put it back on track. It makes 
it
useless when trying out to build a newly released version. Following are
some examples:

$ guix build mlt
/gnu/store/m6y21nnyg6p0kcxbfj7k1dnbwbsbj006-mlt-6.18.0
$ guix build mlt --with-commit=mlt=v6.18.0
updating checkout of 'https://github.com/mltframework/mlt.git'...
guix build: error: Git failure while fetching 
https://github.com/mltframework/mlt.git: the requested type does not 
match the type in the ODB
$ guix build mlt --with-commit=mlt=v6.18.0 
--with-git-url=mlt=https://github.com/mltframework/mlt.git/
updating checkout of 'https://github.com/mltframework/mlt.git/'...
retrieved commit 46a226217d8ec5bbf66a4fa3da138fd6924dd13b
The following derivations will be built:
    /gnu/store/ljlj1dwkdfb7sziy02hi5scskdjmxv02-mlt-6.18.0.drv
    /gnu/store/02q25aq6mi8287hbakc9v7z0jmq9f6cz-sdl-1.2.15.drv
    /gnu/store/5z3v3w5aslbcsq0ia429n0pkshv6f14x-frei0r-plugins-1.7.
[...]

$ guix build picom --with-commit=picom=v7.5
updating checkout of 'https://github.com/yshui/picom.git'...
retrieved commit 3838f053afb1aa05ba1ab489f2dfaa44c00c9ef0
/gnu/store/q1bl4q1x4wmyps5ibljvj4x3y2nl24la-picom-7.5
$ guix build picom --with-commit=picom=vNext
updating checkout of 'https://github.com/yshui/picom.git'...
guix build: error: Git failure while fetching 
https://github.com/yshui/picom.git: the requested type does not match 
the type in the ODB

I've found out about this issue by reading pelzflorian's suggestion 
about
adding a `--with-version' in [0] and [1], he wrote that a year ago, 
before
support for tags was added to `--with-commit'.

[0]: https://issues.guix.info/issue/35744
[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-05/msg00093.html

- Brice