Subject: [bug#40373] [PATCH] guix: new command "guix run-script"

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 11:51:42 +0200

Hello,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The other is that I am in tutorial-driven development mode: I need "guix
> run-script" in order to be able to insert my own scripts (for analyzing
> dependencies) into a Guix tutorial for an upcoming MOOC. So I need to
> make sure that people can run my scripts easily, but also that they
> understand what they are doing. A command that does something else than
> its name suggests, with a similarity that is only visible to experts,
> is no good for use in a tutorial.

I see.  (I have to ponder this a bit more.)

> I am of course aware that much of the code in "run-script" is the same
> as in "repl", which is not good.

Yes, we can probably factorize a bit.  We must make sure ‘-q’ is not
implemented by this command; ‘-t’ is also useless.

> But I'd rather think about a better framework for code sharing among
> Guix scripts than about pushing too much semantic differences into
> obscure options. An example would be reusable "option clusters", such
> as "options for Guile" or "options for channels".

We do have that with ‘%standard-build-options’, for instance, although
not as nicely-structured as we’d like (in general, I’d prefer to have a
GNU argp-style command-line API than what we have).

Ludo’.