Subject: [bug#40373] [PATCH] guix: new command "guix run-script"

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 11:48:11 +0200

Hi Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Could we go for "guix guile" and make it option-compatible with plain
>> Guile as much as possible? Just an idea, I am not sure it's a good one!
>> Guile can already be a pain in a shebang line.
>
> After some exploration, that kind of compatibility doesn't seem worth
> the effort.
>
> I will send another patch that implements Simon's proposal:
>
>  - New command "guix run" that extends "guix repl" by an optional
>    file argument for running a script.

“guix run” was sort of reserved for something else:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-01/msg00118.html

The idea is still floating around so perhaps we should keep that name.

>  - "guix repl" becomes an alias for "guix run" (and could in the
>    long run be declared obsolete).

I’m worried about a possible increase of the deprecation rate.  I
understand the rationale, I think it makes sense, but still, I’m not
sure we need to deprecate “guix repl” already.

In fact, since it’s used by inferiors, we must pay extra attention to
keep it as-is as much as possible or we’ll make communication between
old and new Guixes difficult.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.