Subject: [bug#40326] Remove deprecated packages

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 21:05:00 -0400

Hello Leo and Raghav,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 05:03:42PM +0000, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Please find the attached patch to remove deprecated package-definitions of bctoolbox and ortp.
>
> These packages haven't been deprecated, as I understand it. That would
> mean they had been defined with the deprecated-package procedure for a
> while.

I think it's hard to understand why this is done here without context.

Raghav has started working on packaging Linphone and has made new
definitions for bctoolbox and ortp in a new (gnu packages linphone)
module.

So these packages are going to be moved rather than be outright
removed.

Raghav, for backward compatibility, when me move or rename a package, we
bind the deprecated symbols using the define-deprecated macro (from
(guix deprecation)).

In this case, it'd look like, for example:

(define-deprecated btcoolbox linphone:bctoolbox)

For an actual example, you can "git show 8ab060b68b3".

Maxim