Subject: bug#40316: [PATCH 3/6] gnu: nss: Make reproducible.

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:58:40 -0700

On 2024-04-26, Christina O'Donnell wrote:
> gnu/packages/patches/nss-Disable-library-signing.patch: Disable library
> signing to make the build reproducible.
> gnu/packages/nss.scm (nss): Apply this new patch.

Nice!

> diff --git a/gnu/packages/patches/nss-Disable-library-signing.patch b/gnu/packages/patches/nss-Disable-library-signing.patch
> new file mode 100644
> index 00000000000..b488d29dcad
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/gnu/packages/patches/nss-Disable-library-signing.patch
> @@ -0,0 +1,67 @@
> +From 4734b834755822f962af29e9395daa7338084e21 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> +Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> +From: Christina O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
> +Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:35:50 +0100
> +Subject: [PATCH] nss: Disable library signing.
> +
> +---
> + nss/cmd/shlibsign/Makefile | 32 +-------------------------------
> + 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 31 deletions(-)

I think it would be good to explain why this patch is included, not just
in the git commit message, but in the patch comments itself. I realize
the patch actually includes a comment about non-determinism, but it is a
bit lost in the diff.

Also, might be worth briefly explaining why disabling this feature is
unlikely to break anything, etc.

Curious if there might be some way to leave most of the code in place,
disable it... otherwise on version updates it is more likely to result
in conflicts with even minor changes...

live well,
  vagrant