Subject: bug#40316: nss not reproducible

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 11:15:50 +0200

Hi,

Christina O'Donnell <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 06/05/2024 11:12, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> For sure I’d be happy if the test suite could run faster, but does
>> upstream offer such an option?  When you say “a single pass”, is that
>> something upstream supports?
> Yes, you can control the tests by setting environment variables
> NSS_TESTS to a list of tests and NSS_CYCLES to a list of 'cycles'
> (what I previously called passes). The default is:
>
> "standard pkix threadunsafe"
>
> * 'standard' runs all of the below tests with default settings:
>   "cipher lowhash cert dbtests tools sdr crmf smime ssl ocsp merge
>   pkits ec gtests ssl_gtests policy"
>
> * 'pkix' runs the tests "lowhash libpkix cert tools ssl ocsp pkits ec
>   gtests ssl_gtests policy" with PKIX enabled.
>
> * 'thread_unsafe' runs "ssl ssl_gtests" with "THREAD_UNSAFE" enabled.

Interesting.

> My thinking would be to run the thread_unsafe cycle normally, but to
> reduce the test overlap between standard and pkix however, I can't say
> that I'm knowledgeable enough of NSS to claim that that wouldn't leave
> gaps that might bite us some point down the line. So it might be best
> to leave it as is unless someone familiar with NSS can confirm that
> it'd be safe to disable some tests/cycles.

Right, there doesn’t seem to be an obvious way to disable those without
also weakening test coverage.  I wonder what Debian and others are
doing.

Thanks for explaining!

Ludo’.