Subject: Re: [bug#40301] [PATCH] Fixed some issues with the patches.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 11:04:08 +0200

Hello,

John Soo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ok I added the revision and the commit and used git-version and
> git-file-name. As an aside, what does the revision mean? Maybe if I
> really understand it I can submit better patches in the future.

If there is no proper versioning for the package (e.g., no releases, or
version strings hidden in a source file), we have to rely on commit
hashes. But commit hashes are not monotonic. So, if you package, e.g.,
"emacs-psc-ide" with commit "bbbb", and later, update it to include
latest commit "aaaa", you have, from Guix's point of view, downgraded
the package, even though "aaaa" is more advanced than "bbbb".

The revision number solves that. Each time you update the commit
message, you increase the revision number, so you releases are
monotonic. E.g., your first package will be "emacs-psc-ide-1-bbbb", and
the other "emacs-psc-ide-2-aaaa".

> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-psc-ide.
>
> * gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm (emacs-psc-ide): New variable.

Thank you. Applied as 8a00a2202ef2a0a0173e17479359370f5656ecd0.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou