Subject: [bug#40274] [PATCH v4] gnu: Add kernel-module-loader-service.

From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 12:40:00 +0000

Hello Florian,

Thank you for trying out this new service.

On 2020-04-01 19:34, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> I tried with your patch to make the Guix install image load the
> uvesafb kernel module, but it fails and I get no log.  Is it possible
> to make the service log failures?
> 
> I just get:
> 
> failed to load service: kernel-module-loader
> 
> printed on the console (but not to /var/log/messages).

This a message saying it can't load that service, in this case because
it's parameters weren't formatted correctly, this is not specific to
this service that's how shepherd handle failing to load a service.
Please open a new issue about it if you think (as I do) that shepherd
should be more explicit when it fails to load a service.

Regarding this service, logging has been implemented in v5; the output
of modprobe will be logged if it fails, for example when trying to load
an invalid kernel module like “foo”.

- Brice