Subject: bug#40273: closed (Re: bug#40273: installer: No way to input Latin characters with non-Latin keyboard layouts)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 13:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40273: installer: No way to input Latin characters with non-Latin keyboard layouts

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40273: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40273
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40273: installer: No way to input Latin characters with non-Latin keyboard layouts
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 15:14:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

> Yes please!  (BTW, sorry for the latency when replying; if you want,
> please do chime in on #guix on IRC.)

Merged! Heh, I know you are already quite busy :p

The installer tests are really a nice addition. Being able to test it
running:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
make check-system TESTS="gui-installed-os gui-installed-os-encrypted gui-installed-desktop-os-encrypted"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

is much more convenient than by hand. Thanks for your work on that
topic.

> Yeah.  If the change ends up looking risky, perhaps we should postpone
> it?  I would really like us to release this week.

Seems fair.

Florian, I'm closing the issue here :)

Mathieu

Subject: installer: No way to input Latin characters with non-Latin keyboard layouts
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 14:42:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After selecting non-Latin keyboard layouts in the graphical installer,
there is no way to input Latin characters again.  This means hostname,
username, password, the home directory path /home/… cannot be
specified in Latin.

There either should be a way to switch the keyboard layout later on.
For example currently there is neither a place in the GUI to switch
the layout nor key combinations or (on a Japanese keyboard) support
for the keyboard’s romaji key to switch layouts.  Of course typing
`loadkeys` is impossible too.

Or the keyboard layout should not be switched to non-Latin.  For
example, when choosing Arabic AZERTY layout, during install the
keyboard should be switched to Latin AZERTY layout and not Arabic.

Note that choosing non-Latin usernames and passwords appears to have
caused problems before, see <https://bugs.gnu.org/37872> (I have not
tested it).

Similar considerations: Maybe the default keyboard layout for virtual
console TTYs and bootloaders should be Latin unless changed
explicitly.

Regards,
Florian