Subject: bug#40273: installer: No way to input Latin characters with non-Latin keyboard layouts

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 16:03:54 +0200

Hi,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 05:20:23PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > GDM retains my U.S. English layout even after herd stop xorg-server
>> 
>> That’s a regression.  Localed was added exactly one year ago to fix this
>> problem in commit 607fcc75404e2b1fc74affcf372b4a6a789ac55e.  I’ve spent
>> a couple of hours investigating and I don’t know why it doesn’t work,
>> especially since it works fine once logged in in GNOME (it’s the same
>> code, GNOME Shell).
>
> Sorry!  It is entirely my fault.  I had not known that if I don’t put
> a keyboard-layout field in set-xorg-configuration, I always get
> U.S. layout.

Hmm, on master, if I change desktop.tmpl to use the “fr” layout, I get a
French keyboard layout in the console, but not in GDM.  (In a fresh VM
built with ‘guix system vm’.)

Can you confirm you see this problem?

Ludo’.