Subject: bug#4026: `characterp' undocumented optional arg 'ignore'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:44:40 +0200

> `characterp' has undocumented optional arg 'ignore'
 >
 > This may be another one of the +/- 500 `bootstrapping documentation' arg bugs...

... which are not really bugs.

 > If not, following is what I found:
 >
 > ---
 > @Circa line 313 in "../src/character.c"
 >
 >        doc: /* Return non-nil if OBJECT is a character.  */)
 >
 > ---
 > (describe-function 'characterp)
 >
 > ;;; docstring in *Help*
 >
 > "characterp is a built-in function in `character.c'.
 >
 > (characterp object &optional ignore)
 >
 > Return non-nil if object is a character."
 >
 > ---
 > (info "(elisp)Character Codes)")
 >
 > @Circa line 313 of "../info/elisp-7" as from "./elisp.texi" of Emacs
 > version 23.1.50
 >
 > " -- Function: characterp charcode
 >      This returns `t' if CHARCODE is a valid character, and `nil'
 >      otherwise."

In my code I run an extra check whether an argument is called IGNORE(D)
and do _not_ flag an error in that case.  A more comprehensive list of
what my code currently considers a bug in the Elisp manual is given
below.  I'd appreciate if people could help me point out other false
positives.

martin

buffers.texi:725:8 `inhibit-read-only' is an option
commands.texi:130:9 `interactive' has mismatching optional or rest of arguments
commands.texi:948:8 `global-disable-point-adjustment' is an option
commands.texi:1201:6 Use @kbd for @code{M-f3}
commands.texi:1453:6 Use @kbd for @code{M-double-mouse-2}
commands.texi:3135:7 `recursive-edit' is a command
compile.texi:637:15 `disassemble' lacks description of argument `indent'
control.texi:757:7 `error' has mismatching optional or rest of arguments
debugging.texi:431:7 `debug' is a command
display.texi:126:8 `redisplay-dont-pause' is an option
display.texi:132:8 `redisplay-preemption-period' is an option
display.texi:178:8 `default-truncate-lines' is not an option
display.texi:2289:7 `set-face-foreground' is a command
display.texi:2290:8 `set-face-background' is a command
display.texi:2296:7 `set-face-stipple' is a command
display.texi:2301:7 `set-face-font' is a command
display.texi:2318:7 `set-face-underline-p' is a command
display.texi:2323:7 `set-face-inverse-video-p' is a command
display.texi:2328:7 `invert-face' is a command
display.texi:2365:7 `face-font' lacks description of argument `character'
display.texi:2574:7 `make-face' is a command
display.texi:2574:7 `make-face' lacks description of optional argument(s).
display.texi:2599:7 `face-id' lacks description of optional argument(s).
display.texi:2826:8 `font-list-limit' is an option
display.texi:3159:8 `fringes-outside-margins' is an option
display.texi:3165:8 `left-fringe-width' is an option
display.texi:3171:8 `right-fringe-width' is an option
display.texi:3261:8 `fringe-indicator-alist' is an option
display.texi:3356:8 `fringe-cursor-alist' is an option
display.texi:3608:8 `scroll-bar-width' is an option
display.texi:3968:8 `left-margin-width' is an option
display.texi:3973:8 `right-margin-width' is an option
files.texi:2994:64 Use non-@code{nil} instead of non-nil
files.texi:3029:8 `buffer-auto-save-file-format' is an option
frames.texi:115:7 `make-frame' is a command
frames.texi:1363:7 `select-frame' is a command
frames.texi:1837:8 `void-text-area-pointer' is an option
frames.texi:1876:15 `x-set-selection' is not a command
functions.texi:517:9 `defun' lacks description of argument `body...'
functions.texi:782:7 `ignore' is a command
functions.texi:1199:7 `make-obsolete' is a command
help.texi:494:7 `read-kbd-macro' is a command
help.texi:607:7 `describe-prefix-bindings' is a command
keymaps.texi:1267:6 Use @kbd for @code{C-H-left}
keymaps.texi:2706:8 `auto-resize-tool-bars' is an option
keymaps.texi:2719:8 `auto-raise-tool-bar-buttons' is an option
keymaps.texi:2724:8 `tool-bar-button-margin' is an option
keymaps.texi:2729:8 `tool-bar-button-relief' is an option
keymaps.texi:2734:8 `tool-bar-border' is an option
macros.texi:205:9 `defmacro' lacks description of argument `[decl]'
maps.texi:80:19 Use @key for @kbd{ESC}
minibuf.texi:503:8 `history-add-new-input' is an option
minibuf.texi:1325:11 Use non-@code{nil} instead of non-nil
minibuf.texi:1395:41 Use @kbd for @code{M-x set-visited-file-name}
modes.texi:716:15 `describe-mode' lacks description of optional argument(s).
modes.texi:740:8 `define-derived-mode' has mismatching optional or rest of arguments
modes.texi:1398:8 `define-minor-mode' has mismatching optional or rest of arguments
modes.texi:2166:7 `imenu-add-to-menubar' is a command
modes.texi:2679:8 `font-lock-keywords-case-fold-search' is an option
modes.texi:2766:8 `font-lock-mark-block-function' is an option
modes.texi:2969:8 `font-lock-keywords-only' is an option
modes.texi:2983:8 `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' is an option
nonascii.texi:107:8 `default-enable-multibyte-characters' is an option
nonascii.texi:617:7 `decode-char' lacks description of optional argument(s).
nonascii.texi:628:7 `encode-char' lacks description of optional argument(s).
nonascii.texi:985:8 `file-name-coding-system' is an option
nonascii.texi:1138:41 Use @key for @code{ESC}
nonascii.texi:1780:8 `default-buffer-file-type' is not an option
nonascii.texi:1818:15 `set-input-method' lacks description of optional argument(s).
os.texi:861:15 `setenv' lacks description of argument `substitute-env-vars'
os.texi:1661:8 `timer-max-repeats' is an option
os.texi:2044:7 `play-sound-file' is a command
processes.texi:98:8 `exec-suffixes' is an option
processes.texi:600:7 `start-file-process-shell-command' has mismatching optional or rest of arguments
processes.texi:1039:54 Use @key for @code{DEL}
processes.texi:1076:7 `signal-process' is a command
streams.texi:802:8 `print-circle' is an option
streams.texi:814:8 `print-continuous-numbering' is an option
text.texi:1724:7 `fill-context-prefix' lacks description of optional argument(s).
text.texi:3489:61 Use @key for @kbd{RET}
text.texi:4028:15 `base64-encode-string' is not a command
text.texi:4040:7 `base64-decode-region' is a command
variables.texi:432:9 `defvar' has mismatching optional or rest of arguments
variables.texi:1752:7 `dir-locals-set-directory-class' lacks description of optional argument(s).
variables.texi:1835:7 `make-obsolete-variable' is a command
windows.texi:1788:8 `auto-window-vscroll' is an option
windows.texi:2219:8 `window-size-fixed' is an option