Subject: Re: bug#40248: 27.0.90; Failure open .authinfo.gpg from Gnus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 09:48:59 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> +      ;; The caller might have bound coding-system-for-* to something
> +      ;; like 'no-conversion, but the below needs to call PROGRAM
> +      ;; expecting human-readable text in both directions (since we
> +      ;; are going to parse the output as text), so let Emacs guess
> +      ;; the encoding of that text by its usual encoding-detection
> +      ;; machinery.
> +      (let ((coding-system-for-read 'undecided)
> +            (coding-system-for-write 'undecided))

I think this probably is the right thing here, but I'm not 100% sure --
I seem to remember there being some issue of people putting non-ASCII
stuff in the name parts of the gpg data and then Emacs having a problem
of matching that up to the data we're looking for...

I may be misremembering, though.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no