Subject: bug#40248: 27.0.90; Failure open .authinfo.gpg from Gnus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 09:45:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> But then only the encoding of the network process started by
> nnimap-open-connection-1 should be made no-conversion.

I'm not sure I quite follow; if I misunderstand, I apologise:

Do you mean as a :coding parameter to make-network-process?
nnimap-open-connection-1 doesn't call that function directly, and the
functions it does call doesn't take any :coding parameters.

> By contrast, binding coding-system-for-* around the call to
> open-network-stream has much wider consequences, as it affects _any_
> code run as part of open-network-stream, in particularly
> epg-find-configuration, which has nothing to do with the network
> stream.

Yes, that's unfortunate -- the "bind variables as a way of passing in
parameters" thing that Emacs does a lot is a really bad one.  I think
the fix here would be to change open-network-stream, at least, to have a
:coding parameter (and pass it on).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no