Subject: Re: bug#40247: 27.0.90; mailcap-mime-data erased when parsing mime parts

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 10:35:53 +0200

Juan José García-Ripoll <[email-masked]> writes:

> Seems to work now. At least it does not fail after the steps I
> showed.

OK; closing, then.

> Could this fix be backported to emacs-27? I cannot install emacs-27 if
> it is going to break my mail reading setup.

I'm a bit worried about backporting...  I mean, the current emacs-27
behaviour is clearly a bug, but I'm not sure that the emacs-28 behaviour
is exactly...  correct?  The mailcap parsing precedence has never been
explicitly defined, which reflects all these "well, that didn't work,
then" changes to the code base over the years.

So I think it would make sense to have these changes in Emacs 28 for a
while first to see whether it ruins somebody's setup before
backporting.  However, Emacs 27.1 is going to be released in a very
short time (allegedly), so these changes won't make it into that
release.  But perhaps into Emacs 27.2.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no