Subject: Re: bug#40238: Trying to customize the ispell choices buffer via display-buffer-alist has no effect

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 16:29:22 +0100

> There is no effect if in display-buffer-alist the ispell choices buffer is customized, e.g. in the form
 >
 >     ("\\*Choices\\*"
 >      (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-pop-up-frame)
 >       (pop-up-frame-parameters
 >       (tool-bar-lines . 0)
 >       (font . "Monaco-12")
 >       (left . 778)
 >       (top . 280) (height . 12) (width . 78)
 >       ))

Intentionally so.  IIRC, displaying *Choices* was initially even more
rigid - it didn't use 'display-buffer' at all.

The solution is to set 'ispell-choices-win-default-height' to a very
large value so that in practice 'split-window' can never make a window
that high.  If after some time you come to the conclusion that this
trick works satisfactorily, we can mention it somewhere at your choice.

martin