Subject: Re: [bug#40236] [PATCH] doc: Suggest Btrfs with compression instead of ext4 for root partition.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 19:20:18 -0400

Hello Pierre!

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>                   (list (file-system
>>>                           (device (file-system-label "my-root"))
>>>                           (mount-point "/")
>>> -                         (type "ext4")
>>> +                         (type "btrfs")
>>> +                         (options "subvol=rootfs,compress=zstd")
>
> By the way in your patch you did not document the syntax (options
> "subvol=...").

Are you sure you are looking at the right patch series
(https://issues.guix.info/issue/37305#16)? I documented usage examples
for a root file system using Btrfs subvolumes.

> Is it supported nonetheless in your patch?

Yes.

> Is it supported in current Guix?

Not currently; the patch set is in review :-).  I have it running on 3
machines and there's a system test which shows it working as well, so
don't be afraid to try it!

Maxim