Subject: Re: bug#40202: directory-files-recursively docstring unclear about include-directories

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:57:16 +0200

> From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 01:08:20 +0530
> 
> > Or a more prompting style
> >
> > "If INCLUDE-DIRECTORIES is non-nil, also include directories whose names
> > matches REGEXP in the returned list."
> 
> I did consider this style. But, it is slightly harder to parse. For
> example, it is easy to misparse the sentence as "also include
> directories (whose names match REGEXP in the returned list)" when the
> correct parsing should be "also include (directories whose names match
> REGEXP) in the returned list".

IME, if some text causes parsing difficulties, it is best dropped
altogether, especially if it is redundant.  So that's what I did, see
the emacs-27 branch.

And with that, I'm closing this bug.  Thanks for pointing out the
ambiguity of the original text.