Subject: Re: [bug#40190] Linux-Libre 5.6

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:26:49 -0400

Hi,

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I think the patcset now needs some minor updates to apply to master, but
> just wondering when we could consider switching to 5.6... ?

I do not wish to be a blocker on this, and moreover I would welcome it
if someone else would step up to take over maintenance of our kernel
packages.

However, I should say that for all previous kernel upgrades, I have
taken the time to consider each of the new configuration options
presented by "make oldconfig" and to try make a sensible choice for each
one.  I have not found it sufficient to rely on the automatically
selected choices, which very often default to "no" for modules that
ought to be included, and occasionally default to "yes" for options that
are contrary to our commitment to the GNU FSDG.

I will leave it up to the Guix maintainers to decide what to do if no
one volunteers to take up the job of properly updating our default
kernel configurations.

     Thanks,
       Mark