Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] File mode specification error when opening .tex file

From: Sébastien Miquel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 21:10:39 +0100

Hi,

I've been trying out the native-comp branch.

With emacs -Q, opening any file test.tex gives the following error: File 
mode specification error: (error List nesting exceeds 'max-lisp-eval-depth).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.14, cairo version 1.17.3)
  of 2020-03-20
Repository revision: 64a6709f648f4f6363e1d9d63cc4fc33ff5e0340
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12007000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
  --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
  --enable-link-time-optimization --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d
  --without-m17n-flt --with-cairo --without-compress-install
  --with-nativecomp 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
  -fno-plt -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -s -fuse-ld=gold'
  CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tex-mode compile shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring latexenc tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)