Subject: bug#4016: 23.1.50; docview: scrolling up breaks after setting a slice

From: Paer Kurlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:07:35 +0200

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked]
mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

View a dvi file (or pdf file for that matter) with DocView.

Set a slice by typing "ss" (invoking doc-view-set-slice) with x and y
coordinates zero, and maximum width and height, as suggested by the
prompt.  (In fact, any slice settings seems to trigger the phenomena.)

When hitting space (invoking doc-view-scroll-up-or-next-page), the
document is not scrolled up, and the following error message appears:

image-next-line: Invalid image specification

Note: By hitting "sr" (removing the slice) it is again possible to use
space to scroll up.

Remark: On a laptop with a small screen it would be very useful to set
slices to get rid of the large margins, and yet being able to scroll
through the document (even with a slice set, I cannot see the whole
page at once.)

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1)
 of 2009-07-31 on lansones, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20090730-1~jaunty1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.10600000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host'
 'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed'
 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: DocView

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f a r n o l d . d v i <return> <return> s s 0 
<return> 0 <return> 9 2 6 <return> 1 3 1 0 <return> 
SPC <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/planner-el/planner-autoloads.el
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/51planner-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/52remember-el.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/remember-el/remember-autoloads.el
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/52remember-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/60hyperspec.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
DocView: using cached files!
Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
No key given.  Assumed normal.
image-next-line: Invalid image specification

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik